Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Art and Prison

Day 9

May 17th

Today I didn't have anything scheduled until 1:00 in the afternoon so me and a few of the other criminal justice majors hit up a couple art museums.We went down to Trafalgar Square and explored the National Gallery and the Portrait art museum. I really enjoy looking at works of art so I found both museums to be very impressive. I was even more impressed with I got to see some pieces of work done by  Van gogh and Monet. I had no idea that these art museums had such famous pieces of work. I was really treat to get to see them.
The second part of my day I hooked up with the rest of the justice studies students and took a tour of the Pentonville Prison in London. I have been to a prison before but Pentonville was not like anything I had ever seen before. It was built in the mid 1800s and was designed like the early prisons in America. It was really something to see. It looked like the prisons see in old the movies. It had separate wings with multiple tiers. Most prisons today are podular design and with direct supervision. Pentonville was linear design and indirect supervision meaning guards would have to walk down the hall to look into the inmates cells.

No comments:

Post a Comment